This is a great site for culinary ideas.
How To Make Chicken Jalfrezi
Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe. Chicken Jalfrezi is an Indian or Pakistani curry, with green peppers and a hot and spicy dry sauce. Sample our Chicken Jalfrezi recipe.
- Step 1:
- You will need:
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 medium Onion
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1 Green chilli
- 3 cm of fresh root ginger
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 2 tsp Mild to medium curry powder or paste
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Tomato purée
- 4 ¼ fl oz Water
- 1 Green pepper
- 1 Teaspoon
- 1 Tablespoon
- 1 Chopping board for chicken
- 1 Chopping board for vegetables
- 1 Large sharp knife
- 1 Small sharp knife
- 1 Metal grater
- 1 Non-stick frying pan
- some plates to hold the ingredients
- 1 Wooden spoon
- Step 2:
- Finely chop a medium sized onion.
Crush 2 cloves of garlic with the flat of a knife, and peel away the skin. Chop finely.
Cut one green chilli in half, and, unless you want an incredibly hot curry, use the knife to take out the seeds. Chop finely Chilli juices can burn your skin so when you’ve finished, wash your hands.
Remove the stalk from one green pepper, and cut it in half. Remove the seeds and the white inside and cut the flesh into small slices.
Cut the rough outer skin from about 3 centimetres or 1 to 2 inches of root ginger. Then, grate.
Chop two chicken breasts into small bite-size pieces. Wash your hands after chopping the meat.
- Step 3:
- Heat the oil
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a low to medium heat. Add about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- HANDY HINT
For a richer curry, use 2 tablespoons, or 30ml, of butter instead of oil.
- Step 4:
- Start to fry
- When it’s hot, add the chopped onion, garlic and chilli. Fry for about four minutes or until the onions are soft and translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Step 5:
- Add flavour
- Now add 2 teaspoons of curry powder or paste, 1 teaspoon of tomato purée, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Stir everything for about 30 seconds
- Step 6:
- Add the chicken
- Add the chopped chicken to the pan, and cook for 3 minutes in the pan, until it’s almost cooked. Stir continuously to stop it sticking.
- Step 7:
- Add water
- Now add 125ml or 4 1/2 fl oz of cold water to the pan. Turn the heat down to a lower temperature, and simmer for 5 minutes. It should bubble gently. If you’d prefer a thinner sauce, you can add another 125ml of water and cook for 3 minutes longer.
- Step 8:
- Add ginger and pepper
- Finally add the grated ginger and chopped pepper, and cook for another minute.
- Step 9:
- Check the chicken
- If you’re worried about whether the chicken is cooked, take a large piece from the pan, and cut it in half. It should be white all the way through, with no trace of pink. It should also be piping hot all the way through.
- Step 10:
- This dish is fantastic served either with basmati rice or with hot naan. To make your own naan, watch VideoJug http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-naan-bread